AHEPA is a non-political and non-sectarian body and was founded on 26th July, 1922 in Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
Today, there are over 1000 Chapters or local units throughout the world, namely in USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Greece and Cyprus.
In Australia, AHEPA was first established on the 15th of August 1934 in Werris Creek, a country town of New South Wales.
From this humble beginning, AHEPA has spread throughout Australia with Chapters operating in all States and the ACT as well as New Zealand.
It was introduced in Queensland in 1936, Victoria in 1942, Western Australia in 1957, ACT in 1972, South Australia in 1973, Tasmania in 1978 and New Zealand in 1992.
The Daughters of Penelope, (Ladies Chapters), were first introduced in Brisbane in 1953, Melbourne 1954, Perth 1959 and South Australia and ACT in 1974.
In total, 35 Chapters and 8 Lodges were formed with the majority still very actively involved in many charitable and social functions.